Every summer time, Oklahomans discover themselves celebrating weekends with yard barbeques, and whereas the grilled meats could also be the primary attraction, a summer time cookout is incomplete with out the right summer time salad.
Simply as there are security protocols for dealing with meat, there are also suggestions for the correct dealing with of produce. Meals dealing with misconceptions are threatening to shoppers, mentioned Ravi Jadeja, meals security specialist for Oklahoma State College’s Robert M. Kerr Meals and Agricultural Merchandise Heart.
In line with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, uncooked vegetables and fruit can include dangerous germs, akin to Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria. A big proportion of U.S. foodborne sicknesses are attributable to germs on recent produce.
“A standard false impression I see is in regards to the meals washing course of,” Jadeja mentioned. “Washing pre-washed refrigerated salads, usually labeled as a triple-washed salad, doesn’t make the product safer.”
Washing a pre-washed salad could trigger contamination, if any current, to unfold within the product and make it unsafe to devour, he mentioned.
“One of many most secure produce washing strategies is to scrub any produce beneath potable working water,” Jadeja mentioned. “Solely use authorised sanitizers for laundry produce and plenty of chlorine options aren’t appropriate for laundry produce.”
An extreme quantity of chlorine in wash water could produce carcinogens, which might make produce unsafe for consumption.
“Customers ought to at all times watch out when dealing with and storing produce,” Jadeja mentioned. “Contact with an unsanitary floor, akin to a chopping board used to deal with uncooked meat, can simply contaminate the produce.”
FAPC recommends the next meals security suggestions when having fun with produce this summer time:
- Discover produce that’s not bruised or broken
- Separate produce from uncooked meat, poultry and seafood
- Refrigerate pre-cut vegetables and fruit
- Inside 2 hours after you narrow, peel or prepare dinner fruits or greens, refrigerate in a clear container
- Wash arms, kitchen utensils, and counter tops earlier than and after dealing with produce
- When attainable, use one chopping board for recent produce and a separate for uncooked meat, poultry, and seafood
- Clear produce by washing beneath working water to stop germs on the peel or pores and skin from getting inside fruits or greens
- Washing vegetables and fruit with cleaning soap or detergent shouldn’t be really helpful
- Cutaway broken or bruised areas on produce and throw away any produce that appears rotten.
FAPC, part of OSU’s Division of Agricultural Sciences and Pure Sources, helps to find, develop and ship technical and enterprise data that stimulates and helps the expansion of value-added meals and agricultural merchandise and processing in Oklahoma.
(To enroll in a free subscription to Meals Security Information, click on right here.)